Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Monumental Moments"



As I was writing in my journal yesterday, some thoughts that I'd viewed as incomplete came pouring out on paper. It was like, God was writing through my hands, because these thoughts were complete, and I knew that they were not mine. It's so crazy, to be sitting there... writing.... having revelation peak into your spirit as a result of what "you're" writing... when you don't know what it is you're writing don't know if that makes sense... but long story short, God spoke to me in my own handwriting.
I just felt like sharing some of what was revealed to me.


I don't have my journal with me, or else I'd type up word for word what's on those pages, however, I'll share what I can remember.



August 18, 2008


This evening I am pondering something I've decided to call "monumental moments.” A “monumental moment” is a snippet of time that can be as short as a few seconds or last as long as days. It is the first that captures my attention... the smallest moment in time that holds a monumental amount of potential. There is a certain romance to this idea. I consider my love for sunsets... the represent minutes and hours in a day... what did those snippets of time contain I wonder?


I've heard it said (I'm paraphrasing here), that we should “take care to capitalize on everyday for the Kingdom of God..." This statement or ideal was responded to by a vehement few (or rather, well thought-out) souls, with: “No, we should take care to capitalize on every second for the Kingdom of God." I criticized these and other like statements/quotes... and those who spoke them... labeling them as pompous, legalistic over-planners who had nothing better to do than complicate and overstate matters. Today, I will still fight to the death before I over-plan my life... or even my day. I am the world's worst at planning things, because I despise it. "Simplify, simplify" that's my motto. I truly get this from my mother who shares my same passion for simplicity in life, in tasks and even when possible, in relationship (yes, there are times when we over-complicate these too). However, I am beginning to see a point (in my own fashion) to what they're saying.


I am a "Visionary Woman"... I have vision and I love to cast vision. I can see through current circumstances to an end result that's greater than those circumstances. This is a great gift, and it's desperately needed by the church (please don't take this as bragging, I'm making a point here... remember, this is my journal entry). However! There comes along with this GREAT disadvantages if not handled with care and wisdom. It is easy to get caught up in the end result, and loose sight of the now. I can forget that there is sometimes, a long walk to get to that result, with many battles to fight.


When running a race, eyes are fixed on the finish line; your mind is fixated on that place of completion. However, you don't get to that point Mary Poppins style, by snapping a finger or pulling out and umbrella. You have to run and run hard. You have to watch your step, ensure your shoe is tied and know where you are in the race so as to make sure you're winning. These things, the running, the tying of the shoe, etc. are called monumental moments. Small pieces of time in the race, that can easily be overlooked, but mean victory and/or defeat if not recognized. Oh to learn the art of recognizing these moments during the course of the day. Hindsight is 20 20, foresight idealistic... but, what about the "now-sight". While I don't want to be overly attuned to each second of each day to the point of loosing the simplicity of just walking in the Spirit. I know there's more!


In hindsight, I can see times where if I had recognized the moment, heaven’s doors could've been opened in my life. The moment where I was determined to win that fight -- when loosing would've been a much more productive outcome. The moment where I could've comforted a co-worker in prayer but, passed it by without a thought. These were "monumental moments" that I missed. They could have changed my life drastically for the better... Who knows but God?


As I said in the beginning, I love sunsets. I adore being able to sit and watch the horizon as the sun sinks setting the sky on fire, colors change, and life begins to slow down. I ponder this and relish it each day. But, to have a sunset there must be a sunrise. There must also be a set amount of time that passes called day... What if I could sit, relish, and ponder a sunset fully knowing that those few seconds, minutes and hours filled with opportunities that passed are coming to a close... the fact that this sunset marks the completion of those moments, and thus, success! This sunset marks another battle fought and won, another relationship built, another opportunity for the Kingdom advanced and another day- another collection of "monumental moments" being written in my storybook to be read by my Creator in Heaven

3 comments:

Justin said...

Hey beautiful :P

Just so you know, you listed "The Incredibles" as one of your favorite movies. Wanna watch it? :P

Also, I'm looking forward to reading your blog. I bet it's my favorite :P

Hmmmm, after everything I've said, there is a :P

Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

Thank you so much my handsome man

Sheila Atchley said...

Good job, Hannah! I am thrilled to see that you have created an outlet for yourself, for your writing. You'll begin to see that this "blog thing" is SO inspiring - you'll be looking at everything through "writer's eyes".