Friday, August 29, 2008

Good Morning:

The Call- in Nashville TN.
Good Morning:
This morning I woke up a little later than I ought to, so I rushed out the door. No makeup, almost no time was spent on my hair and no time was set aside for devotions. I’m sad to say that I didn’t give it much thought. “It’s Friday” I though to myself, “almost the weekend, time to relax.”

This idea captured my thought process this morning.


Well, during my drive to work. I called Sarah (she’d been text messaging me and I don’t do that while driving).

She said, “Do you have some time for me to share some thoughts with you?”

“Yes.” I replied.

“What’s up?”

“Well I read Psalms 3 this morning and I’m just in awe.”

She proceeded to read to me Psalms 3 in such a tone of wonder that I was immediately feeling 2 things:

1) I missed out on the opportunity to have received what she did from God this morning

2) I am so thankful, that I still get it imparted to me through one who owns it for herself.


In case some of you woke up this morning in the same state I did.

May God do for you through this blog posting what He did for me through Sarah phone conversation and text messages this morning.


Psalms 3 (with some thoughts from Sarah, and from myself)

1) O Lord, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me!

2) Many are saying of me, ‘God will not deliver him.’


-- Today, we may not have enemies in the sense of people wanting to kill us… but, we do have an enemy Satan, who has set his works against us. We have the deceived of the world saying, “God will not do anything for _____.”“These circumstances prove your God either doesn’t exist or doesn’t care for you.”


3) But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.4) To the Lord I cry aloud, and He answers me from His holy hill. ~selah

--- In these passages David is saying… in essence. “BUT!!! You Lord are a shield around me. I have my confidence in you and nothing can shake it. None of this effects me because YOU not only care for me but you give my YOUR GLORY… You rest Your Glory on me and I AM NOT ASHAMED. I am not AFRAID. I look boldly FORWARD.”Then you can just picture him looking out at his enemies (circumstances and/or unbelievers)…( they do not know that he’s met with God in the secret place… for all we know they could think he’s crazy) and he says loudly to them in their faces: “To the Lord I cry out loud and He answers me from Heaven!” In other words… “watch out… I ask of God, and He responds… brace yourselves.”


While, the above passages are enough to astound me, read on…


5) I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.

6) I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side.

7) Arise, O Lord! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked.

8) From the Lord comes deliverance. May Your blessings be on Your people.


--- What gets to me is the words: “I lie down and sleep; I wake up again, because the Lord sustains me.”So simple… yet so profound… “Hey! I go to sleep through these times, and circumstances… and I wake up again.Why? Because my Lord sustains me. You are nothing to me. I will sleep. I’m not afraid of you… I wouldn’t be afraid if there were tens of thousands like you against me and surrounding me on every side. Remember? The Lord hears me and answers me.”Then see how he prays… I find it interesting that he targets the jaws of his enemies in prayer. Could this be due to the chatter? Today should we not pray likewise? That God would strike the jaws of those who mutter against us, which is to mutter against Him?


Oh to have this kind of secure faith in the promises of our Lord.


Now! circumstances.

Now! those who mutter against me.

Now! you who try to surround me and come against me on all sides.

I--------- lie down and sleep and I---------will wake up again.


The Lord sustains me.

4 comments:

Jonathan Trentham said...

I, Jonathan, lie down and sleep and I, Jonathan, will wake up again. Because the LORD sustains me!

Thank you Sarah for sending your thoughts over text message this morning. They were a huge encouragement.

And thank you Hannah for this post. It allowed me to seek deeper and meditate further on His word from this morning.

Justin said...

Hey love, you need to blog some more!!

Jonathan Trentham said...

I agree, Hannah. Keep it up! You should blog too, Justin!

Sheila Atchley said...

Very, very encouraging, Hannah!