Monday, October 6, 2008

"God is In the Small Things"




There is an old saying that has floated around here and there for as long as I remember.
The person it orginated from is unknown by me, as is the person who first told it to me. But, it's in the back of my mind at present. It goes something like this,

"God is in the small things."

That's it. That's all there is to it; short, sweet, simple and to the point. God is in the small things.

This happens to be true (I believe) much of the time. We take for granted the small things while we search desperately for the next miracle, or supernatural act of God, just to satisfy our many curiosities. Meanwhile all around us are testiments to His greatness and more-over... His love for us.

This is applicable in any and every area of this life; I garauntee it.
However, I want to focus on something that has slowly been sprinkling my heart lately.
(I say sprinkling because I don't feel that I've quite received the full flow of revelation yet.)

What about the gifts? -Not specifically the Spiritual gifts, although they will apply... I'm speaking even of your (my) personal gifts.

We could sit back and examine everyone's gifts, compare them to our own, or try to make a recipe of our desired gifts. But, there is something so much better.
We need to take our eyes off of the spiritual-personal gifts catalog and recognize what the Good Lord has already given us. "Be faithful in the small things that the Lord has given you and you will be made ruler over much."

You may not be the next greatest teacher, but you're one crazy good cook.
"If you love me,.... (then) feed my sheep." Mark 21:17

You may not be the next pastor, but you can make anyone feel at home where ever you are.
"Share with God's people who are in need, practice hospitality." Romans 12:13

You may not be the next Sarah Palin (women) but, you can care for your children and your household like no one else.
Proverbs 31

I am telling you, that as sure as I write this now, no one can do what you do better. I don't care what it is, I don't care how large or small.
We are most guilty of considering what we do small, insignificant or meaningless; when all scripture is clearly saying the opposite.

What has God given you to steward- God is in the "small" things!

Tonight, as I sat down to stir up some thoughts to decorate my blog page and maybe elicite some response I did what comes natural to me... I created atmosphere.
I cleaned up my room a bit, turned on some relaxing music, opened my window to listen to the water fall and the outside crickets and lit some candles. Instantly my room became filled with the night air breeze, the room smelled of vanilla (from the candles) and the spirit of the Lord filled my room along with the music that I put on.

I'm not bragging when I say, that's a gift.
Im proud of my gift! God gave it to me! Why shouldn't I take pride in MY gift?

I have the gift of creating an atomosphere that fills my heart with peace and joy wherever I am. I love beautiful things, so I like to create beauty around me if I feel enough doesn't exsist.

This isn't the gift of healing, of prophecy, of teaching... no, but it's my gift and God is in it!
God is proud of it and I do, I steward it, I caress it, I love it and I care for it.

I will not flaunt this gift, that wouldn't be right. But I recognize that God gave it to me as surely as he gave that man the gift of prophecy or that woman the gift of teaching...

It may be seeminly small, but it's not... God's in it:)
God takes delight in the fact that I delight in His gift to me.

I encourage you today, take delight in your gift, even if it's a "small thing" to our human eyes and understanding. Why? Because "God is in the small things."

4 comments:

Justin said...

So true so true. I have to fight my tendency to look down upon what I'm able to do, as if it isn't as good as something else... It's a hard battle for me, but I try to fight it though and claim the victory, and thereby enjoy the things that have been given to me. That's good stuff my love.

jame said...

Hannah, this was very well said. I have heard your mom say numerous times that Gods is in the little details of our lives, the everyday small stuff but we have to retrain ourselves to notice it. She has encouraged numorous women, stay at home moms and working moms alike on the very things you wrote yesterday. Even in parenting your mom has told me to look for the small God infused moments and run with it, build on it!

Have I told you how much I love your pictures I was able to save some right off your blog.. the one in S.Hills along the road and the one with the swing under the Georgia tree with the lake as its back drop. Amazing. I am so excited and cannot wait to see your "fall collection!"

Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

Thank you so much Jame!
I have to admit to the swing under the trees not being my own though *sigh*
Actually I probably should've put a note on it saying something to the affect of: "Picture curtesy of.... well I don't know who, but it's not mine :)"

I love you!!! and as soon as I have Fall pictures they're yours :))

Sheila Atchley said...

No one can do exactly what I do. THAT is a thought worth pondering...