Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Autumn








Autumn (my prefered seasonal name) is just around the corner, and it does my heart good. I look forward to the changing of the leaves, the crisp cool air, the Thanksgiving holiday, firepits, friends, family and neighbors gathering, hot chocolate and the smell of hot apple cider. All of these things touch my heart in a way that is hard to describe.






Autumn is not just a season to me, it is a heartfelt joy. I love it so much I've considered (Lord willing) naming my daughter when I someday have one, Autumn Marie. Autumn for the utter joy it brings me and Maria after the closest woman in my life.








I very much so look forward to my first Autumn trip to the Great Smokey Mountains. I look forward to it every year... I feel like the mountains in Autumn speak directly of my Saviors amazing creative power. As the mountains light up flaming with magnificent color while fog, sits lightly on the top of them, I think of my Creator. How amazing is it, that He would provide for me this kind of beauty... the kind that touches my heart in such a way as to render me nearly speachless?








Look at the splendor you find during this season and just try to convince me that there isn't a loving Father behind it all. I dare you! This season brings me closer to the reality of His amazing grace than any other seasons combined.




I love the history that has taken place during the Autumn season. There is much to be told that occured during these months (weeks, moments). Most of my favorite historical stories took place during this time... Thus, one of my favorite holidays is Thanksgiving.



The Atchley household is also working on establishing "history" for future generations by embracing tradition family tradition. Much tradition in our family begins during the Autumn season. Thus, another reason for my love of it!


There is an Amy Grant song that my mother introduced me to... She introduced it to me one Thanksgiving during a family get together... so, every Thanksgiving my heart sings it...


"Up in the attic, Down on my knees.


Lifetimes of boxes, Timeless to me.


Letters and photographs, Yellowed with years,


Some bringing laughter,Some bringing tears. Time never changes,


The memories, the facesOf loved ones, who bring to me,


All that I come from, And all that I live for, And all that Im going to be.


My precious familyIs more than an heirloom to me."

Every year, the day after Thanksgiving, we put up our tree and decorate for Christmas. It is my prayer that this tradition continues for as long as we're a family.

This is, indeed, the best time of the year.

4 comments:

Tim Atchley said...

Well, well, good job daughter. I'm so proud of you.

Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

Thank you papa bear : ))
I treasure your input!!

Justin said...

Very good my love :P It makes me look forward to Autumn even more (and it's just around the corner!)

Unknown said...

I celebrate autumn with you, Hannah!! I love it, love it. And I thoroughly enjoyed your blog!! May we have the loveliest autumn ever.