Monday, September 15, 2008

More Than What I Wanted


I was always told by many godly, wise women, to write down what I want in a future husband. By God’s grace and my mother’s wise council I waited to do this until a appropriate age (an age where I was old enough to seriously consider it instead of day dream about it prematurely). The amazing thing about this was, when I sat down to write it out… I clearly heard God correct me.
It began like this:

I want him to (of course) love God
To be tall, handsome and strong
To be athletic
To love children
To play and instrument
I’d love dark hair, brown eyes and dark skin
………………

Youth

But, in my youth, I heard God say “I have a better plan for you. Do not list what you want in a husband, but seek out what I think is best for you.” So, I threw my list away and prayed. Instantly I felt the Lord prompt me to read 1 Samuel 16 about young David.
I was reminded once again of the calling that I’ve known I’ve had since I was 6. My calling is to church…and specifically Harvest Church. I knew ever since I can remember that I wanted to support someone with an apostolic calling (of course when I was young that term wasn’t familiar to me, but the calling was).

God told me that 1 Samuel 16 was my list of what to look for in a husband and that until that list “checked out” I was to hold off. Here is the list according to 1 Samuel 16

1. David was referred to (in the message version) as the “runt”. This didn’t necessarily mean that I was to wish for, and expect a “runt-like” guy in the terms that we would think of today…. But it did mean (same as it did for Samuel) that I was not to look at a small-ish stature but to look at the heart.
2. David was found tending the sheep. This meant he was already working at something small as it may have seemed. God called him and found him while he was busy. So, the man that I was to marry must be busy,… already working at something when God finds him and calls him.
3. David was called “ruddy, bright eyed and good looking”. YIPEE! God still had someone in mind for me that was good looking. I’m not going to miss out there! Also, his eyes would tell me a story. They’d be bright and they’d speak of his gentle nature in Christ. They would be joyful eyes. Not only that, but his appearance is going to reflect his work… David was out in the sun all day working… thus a ruddy appearance. My man would look like his work. You’ll be able to see the fact that he is a hard worker because he will look like one.
4. vs 12 “God said, ‘Up on your feet! Anoint him! This is the one!’” This means that God was going to anoint him. That my man would have been called out by the prophets of the day and set apart for the work that God would have for him.
5. vs 13 “Samuel took his flask and anointed him with his brothers standing around watching. (interjection here… this means that God exalted him above… he was the youngest… and the least to be expected… but he was exalted and not just in private… but with those thinking he was “insufficient” watching.) The Spirit of God entered David like a rush of wind, God vitally empowering him for the rest of his life.” This means that my man, will have the gift of the holy spirit. That he will be empowered by it and that he will stand in it for his lifetime.
6. When Saul was troubled he requested a skilled musician… So David was remembered and called upon… But, not only that, but, when the musician was requested there also came more reports of David voluntarily. No background was requested other than “I want a skilled musician.” Still, here’s what men had to say about David: “I know someone, I’ve seen him myself: the son of Jesse of Bethlehem, an excellent musician. He’s also courageous, of age, (important lol) well spoken, and good looking. And God is with him.” My man would bring such reports. People will respect him and know that God is with him.
7. For lengths sake I’m going to be a little quicker here… there’s so much more to add but here are just a few. 1) when Saul called for David, he was back tending the sheep. See, David was faithful in tending to the little things until God brought him to where he was promised to be. David believed. 2) David was not to proud after being anointed as king… to serve the one he would take over by playing music for him. That speaks multitudes to the graciousness and faith of David… and of my future man.

Now, I know that some of you will be wondering why I wrote this as a blog post. Let me encourage you in this way by posting this… encourage early, a mindset of believing that God has what’s best in mind for you and your children (if you have them) even when it comes to a future spouse. The above “list” is amazing… and I wouldn’t have ever thought to ask for someone so wonderful, had Jesus not reminded me…. “Hey, I have something better for you.”

Be careful what you ask for, because He could very well be answering you, while He had something so much better up His sleeve.

This process of praying for a future spouse may not be for everyone… and I’m not knocking those who’ve made their lists. It’s important to know what you’re looking for one way or another… But, I plead with you… Seek what He’s looking for… I guarantee that it is above and beyond what you could ever ask for or think.

4 comments:

Sheila Atchley said...

Absolutely excellent. Beautiful insight...

Liz Overton said...

I really enjoyed reading this post, Hannah! Thanks for sharing!

Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

Thank you momma : ))

and Thank you Liz for visiting and taking the time to comment!

elaine said...

I hope that many young girls read this blog and learn the much-needed wisdom that is in it. Elaine